Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Summer Rerun: Vero Kern onda

By Tom

Last week I reviewed the new EDP Vero Kern is debuting, Mito. She sent samples of her others to remind me of them (or to torture me, since they're so darned lovely) I've written about the EDP versions here, and the perfume versions of kiki and rubj here. Of course in the package was the perfume version of onda which I think is one of my five all-time favorites (clearly I changed my mind about me wearing it, thank goodness). I wore it to my friends mom's funeral in San Marino, in a suit, in 103° weather, outdoors and I wouldn't have changed it for anything..

My dear scent twin Gaia, the Non-Blonde sent me a sample of these for my birthday, lovely creature that she is. Vero is the perfumer that no less than Andy Tauer describes as his muse, and I can see why. The scents are startlingly simple while managing to seem incredibly complex.

On me Onda starts with a minted tobacco, the smokiness perfectly balanced with the brightness of the mint. It later becomes more complex as the vetiver comes in, seemingly ripped fresh from the earth and torn joyfully asunder. Colombina describes it as "an urban person's vision of bucolic utopia" while Gaia writes that it is "beautiful, dramatic and romantic". They are of course both correct: it's earthy yet glamorous. It's Garbo joyfully tearing a root from the ground with her manicured fingers, brushing the dirt and laughing, biting in heedless of the juice that may stain her Adrian gown. It's earthy, it's glamorous, it's gorgeous.... it's not me. I might be an old man, but I think that there are a few scents that should be ladies only, and although I could wear this, I really think it's best served by being worn by you ladies.

Onda is available at her website; it's well worth checking out.

Note: Available at LuckyScent as well

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Tama said...

Onda is my preciousssss. I am privileged to have both the edp and extrait. They are different animals, and I adore them both. The extrait is like a mix of scents I associate with both of my parents, and as a result it is exquisitely "me".

2:31 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, yes Tama, I too can see both my parents in this lovely extrait. My father's closet smelled of expensive leather shoes and my mother's of fur and very, very good perfume. I keep getting small samples hoping I'll eventually go "meh". Ain't happenin'. I even put on Lonestar Memories the other night (which I own) hoping it would be so close I could forego Onda. Alas, while close, it's no cigar or perhaps IS cigar. Either way, LM turns all spicy on me while my beloved Onda turns all animalic sex. I prefer it in extrait and Rubj in EdP as in both fragrances they are quite different animals indeed in the differing concentrations. I would order an industrial vat of Onda if I could. As it is, I'm trying to forego other fragrance purchases to save up for the 15 ml of extrait. It is exceptional and nothing else I've tried comes close.

7:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Karen M said...

I am wearing my very last drop of this today! And plotting for a way to make a bottle of it mine, but unfortunately, it will take a lot of saving. Still, I don't begrudge the price because this is one of those instances where you truly get what you are paying for.

2:10 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tama

I agree totally!

6:29 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon-

I'd like a vat myself..

6:30 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Karen M-

I don't begrudge either..

6:31 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

I have never tried Onda - by the description I would either love it or hate it! Not sure which...

10:04 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home